Vietnamese Morning
This poem has so much imagery in it, both beautiful and tragic, that I couldn't keep from posting it. I'm big on Imagery-that's just what sells the poem.
A Child in the Ashes
I liked this poem's criticism of the American mentality. It was just sarcastic enough to make a point, but didn't go so far as to be cliche or lose its meaning.
The Man He Killed
Death of the Ball Turret Gunner
Naming of Parts
These last three poems were ones that I studied in my high school English class. "The Man He Killed" makes a very strong point-war turns people into enemies without necessarily giving good reason, and just because someone is fighting for "the other side" doesn't mean they are evil. "Death of the Ball Turret Gunner" is brief but its images linger after one finishes reading it. "Naming of Parts" relays the numbness with which we view war; one can almost imagine the speaker's monotone as he gives instructions on how to care for and use an instrument which will be used to kill another human being,
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment