Monday, March 26, 2007

Literary Worlds

The virtual worlds project was probably the most anticipated unit of this class for me. I was one of the few people in last semester's 110 class that didn't look back on this project and shudder. Call me crazy, but I like making virtual worlds, although it does get time-consuming.

So my next creation is going to be a role-playing game based on The Great Gatsby. So far I have a couple of rooms, and I think I am going to set it up so that students can visit the world in groups of 5 or so, playing as Gatsby, Nick, Daisy, Tom, or Myrtle. They'll each have objectives corresponding to their characters and they'll have to fulfill them inside the world. I have no experience with bots yet, so I'll probably have to throw a few in, as much to fill in the minor characters of the novel as to satisfy my own curiosity.

As of right now the world is nothing much to look at, but that will all change just as soon as I get some real time to sit down and play with it a while. I don't know why these other classes of mine insist on taking up so much on my free time.

No comments: