Monday, September 11, 2006

More Poems

"Death in the Suburbs" by Adrian Henri
http://www.poetryarchive.org/poetryarchive/singlePoem.do?poemId=5896

-I especially enjoyed the vivid imagery in this poem. The first stanza knocks me off of my feet, especially the line "sunlight thrown like a blanket / over pink and white vistas." For those of you looking for a quick read, I don't advise this poem. However, it is ultimately satisfying and worth the work.

"In the Theatre" by Dannie Abse
http://www.poetryarchive.org/poetryarchive/singlePoem.do?poemId=72

-I'll admit, I first checked out this poem because I am a theatre person and the title drew me in. Even after I realized the poem's actual subject, the title remained one of my favorite parts. I think "In the Theatre" is entirely appropriate, because of all the falsehood and deceit that occurs in the poem. Or perhaps it's not deceit, but more like pretending as a way to avoid more suffering. Either way, this poem is completely harrowing and I love it.

"On Edges" by Adrienne Rich
http://www.poetryarchive.org/poetryarchive/singlePoem.do?poemId=430

-My favorite part about this poem is the stanza about piecing things back together.

"Gift of Words" by Peter Dale
http://www.poetryarchive.org/poetryarchive/singlePoem.do?poemId=141


I'm really sorry I can't post any actual links...it must be a hassle for everyone but for some reason blogger is not enabling the links.

No comments: