Wednesday, September 27, 2006

'Odyssey' translations I liked

Butcher-Lang (1879)

I liked this translation because it was easy to understand without losing much of the beautiful language. I also liked the way it was set up, not so much as a poem but in paragraphs.

WHD Rouse (1937)

This seemed like a good choice for people reading The Odyssey for the first time, or who might not be too familiar with poetry. It took less analysis than in poem format because it was formed into more of a novel. The imagery remained intact and it was easy to follow.

Richard Lattimore

This was in more of a poem format, which I liked. It flowed nicely and relayed profound images. The introduction is clear; even though it deals with a lot of events in only a few lines it does so without turning into a massive run-on, which usually makes me lose focus. I think the test of any poem is whether or not the reader can picture the action. Not only can I picture the events being described, I can also envision the actual story being told aloud, because it flows so nicely.

1 comment:

Holly said...

For the Butcher-Lang interpretation i agree with you as far as the easier words but the work does not loose it beauty