Shakespeare's "My Mistress's Eyes are Nothing Like the Sun"
Allen mentioned this poem in class on Tuesday as Shakespeare's "satire" of sonnets. I studied this poem briefly in my high school creative writing class, and immediately took to it, mostly because it is so different from the typical romantic sonnet.
"A Flying Song" by Adrian Mitchell
I really enjoy the use of repetition in this poem. The repeated lines emphasize each stanza and string the entire piece together. Reading this makes me contemplate life and each aspect of it, and I like the fact that the poem is so open to different readers' interpretations.
"Autumn Gift" by Valerie Bloom
Reading Allen's blog made me think of fall, as it is inevitably upon us. Luckily we still have a few nice days left, like this morning. This poem about the September sunshine is a perfect fit for days like today. Hopefully it will stick around for as long as possible!
"For Me" by Ian McMillan
I like poems about poetry and writing. They are some of my favorite to read and also to write. This one makes me laugh, as it would any writer or lover of poetry who is just plain tired of people saying "If it doesn't rhyme, it's not really a poem." Any English teacher or frustrated student could easily quote this poem in rebuttal to those closed-minded individuals.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment